jueves, 29 de agosto de 2024

AVERY PALMER 1983 Arcata, California

avery palmer (born 1983 in the United States) My work seeks to explore the nature of humanity and express the complexity and mystery inherent in our relationships with the world we live in and with each other. By combining familiar images in unfamiliar ways, I invent scenarios that can be seen as puzzles with no right or wrong solutions, and perhaps no solution is possible for them. These riddles are analogous to the changing and unresolved nature of life itself. The multiplicity of possible readings of symbolism in my work is at the heart of my concept. However, there are some of the elements that I see as symbols or metaphors for specific aspects of the human experience. In my sculpture work, special emphasis is placed on the interaction between the interior and exterior. Small figures peering timidly through windows and doors from hybrid architectural/corporeal forms symbolize a human desire for an unattainable sense of security. The mysterious and hidden interior spaces of my sculptures speak to the disparity between our outer appearances and aspects of our inner selves that others cannot know. The scripts of my work generally seem to suggest that some kind of performance is taking place, partly due to the vaguely circus-like imagery I often use. This idea of performance in my work can be seen as a metaphor for the performance aspect that exists in each of our lives. Each of us finds ourselves in certain situations in which we must "act." Our lives can be seen as made up of a series of these situations. Some elements of my work make nostalgic references to earlier periods in history. The clothing of the characters I invent often recalls 19th century styles. Other elements of my work even have a medieval aspect. I am interested in this historical quality as a way of distancing ourselves from the reality we know, thus encouraging the viewer to use their imagination while contemplating these scenarios. Life is incredibly complex and perpetually full of unanswered questions, but each of us must find a way to make sense of it all. It is human nature to simplify the world around us so that it is better understood and articulated, but it is inevitable that many things are missing when we do this. It is our condition of limited understanding of reality that drives us to dream and use our imagination. My work meets this condition. Education: 2013 - MFA, San Jose State University, San Jose, California.
2006 - BA in Studio Art, Humboldt State University, Arcata, California. www.aglutinart.blogspot.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

ALBERTO ABATE 1946-2012 Roma

The nude in art: Alberto Abate By marmteo on August 10, 2024 Alberto Abate (Rome, Italy, 1946-2012), an original and outstanding Italian ...